Your Personal De-Stress Kit
This De-stress kit is for anyone experiencing extra stress from the ongoing financial meltdown, or any other challenging event.
The global community is becoming aware of a need to shift from pursuit of self gain at other’s expense, to a balanced system of care for the rights and needs of everyone. Even as we become aware of this need, people are going through different emotional stages - shock, denial, anger, blame and despair.
Eventually we need to engage in thoughts and actions of self-care and health concerns to reach a point where we can rebuild our coping capacity and create a psychological turn-around.
Doc Childre of the HeartMath Institute suggests the following practices to reduce stress and reset our systems to move forward.
1. Communicate and interact with others - Take advantage of the free Cope with the Economy support group on this website.
2. Re-open your heart feelings by offering kindness and compassionate support to others.
3. Practice appreciation and gratitude.
4. Decrease drama.
5. Manage your reactions to the news - Listen from a neutral position.
6. Prayer or Meditation
7. Heart focused breathing to reduce stress and anxiety.
10. Reduce comparing the present with the past - stay in the now.
11. Reduce Fear.
12. Engage with your family.
13. Don’t blame yourself.
14. Write a letter to yourself - with a commitment to move forward.
A complete 15 page booklet describing these suggestions in detail is available from:
Marcia S. Seeberg, MS,LMHC